15 April 2015

Lucy's scary sickness

About a week and half before my due date, I was at work when Matt called me to tell me Lucy had a fever. It sounded serious on the phone, and since lucy has been obsessed with taking all of our temperature since she had been sick with strep the weekend before, our thermometer had a dead battery. I quickly packed up my things at work, ran to the store to get a new battery, and headed home. Lucy's temp was about 102, and she was totally lethargic. Her body was limp and it was so obvious she did not feel well. I immediately called our pediatrician, and they told us to bring her in right away. On our way to the doctors office, I kept trying to talk to Lucy, keep her alert. As I watched her through the rear view mirror, Lucy's eyes kept rolling back and she wasn't responding to me. Panic set in and I called Matt. I was hysterical. I could barely get the words out through my tears. I was so scared, and so worried. Matt left work right away to meet me. As soon as I hung up the phone with matt, Lucy started vomiting all over herself and the car. My heart was breaking, and I was driving as quickly and as safely as i could. It had started to snow, and as soon as i pulled into the doctors office parking lot, I stripped Lucy down and dressed her in a fresh pair of pajamas, that I grabbed last minute on our way out the door. I had an impression that I would be needing them. we ran into the office, lucy still limp and me covered in puke and will tear stained cheeks. 

Our pediatrician was fantastic. he stayed with us for about an hour and watched lucy, tested her for everything he could and kept re evaluating her. we didn't leave with any answer, other than it was a virus he had not seen before and to keep a close eye on her. I have never been so scared. As a mom you always want your children to be healthy and happy, to see my Lucy so sick and so unlike herself, was terrifying. There were many prayers offered on Lucy's behalf that day, and like a true miracle, she woke up the next morning without a fever and acting pretty normal. The power of prayer is real, and I know Lucy's quick recovery was because of the love and sincere prayers many said for her. 

Part of me was stressed not only because Lucy was so so sick, but because I could have a baby at any point. I was 38, almost 39 weeks pregnant and I couldn't imagine what I would have done if I had to leave Lucy to go have a baby. Heavenly Father has a plan. there is a reason I was still pregnant. I needed to be able to tend to Lucy without any other distraction or responsibility. I am thankful I could do that for her, one last time. 



38.5 weeks pregnant

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment! :]